Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Top 50 Buffy Episodes Part 1

I done this about two years ago on my TV Tome blog but if you didn't catch it, it's here and I'll do one a week for ten weeks until we get to number one.

46: Something Blue (Season 4, Episode 9)

I'm not always a big fan of comedic episodes on this show. It's not that I lack a sense of humour, it's just darker ones tend to stick with me more. This one wins out because it's just a wonderful use of having everything you say literally come true. Because Willow can't get over Oz, she's reckless with her magic and everyone pays for it. Amy's briefly human, Xander attracts more demons, Giles goes blind and Buffy and Spike nearly get married. Bet that pleased certain shipppers everywhere.

47: When She Was Bad (Season 2, Episode 1)

When a prophecy of your impending death is nearly fulfilled and you still survive it, it's obvious that it's going to take a toll on you emotionally, yes? Buffy's way of dealing with nearly being killed by the Master was to act like a total bitch to all of her friends, until most of them were kidnapped as part of a resurrection ritual and Cordelia gave her a much needed dressing down.

48: The Freshmen (Season 4, Episode 1)


One of a few 'underrated' episodes that will surface on my list. I like all the season premieres of the series and I do like this one. Buffy feeling out of her depth in college while Willow and Oz were taking to it brilliantly worked well, Sunday made for a fun vampire nemesis and while I've never been a fan of the Initiative, it was an intriguing way to introduce them.

49: Anne (Season 3, Episode 1)

Interesting opening episode. Buffy spent her summer in LA, trying to keep her head down and then she winded up getting back into the slayer game when the right reasons came along. It was good to see the gang attempt to keep the monsters at bay in her absence and I certainly enjoyed some of Giles and Joyce's scenes in this one as well.

50: Bring On The Night (Season 7, Episode 10)

I like this episode, I'm not always sure why because it's one of those that doesn't seem to like it. It was the one that unfourtunately hinted at Andrew being a regular and also the one that introduced Kennedy but there's also Buffy's first altercation with the uber-vamps and Spike being tormented by the First donning Drusilla that worked a lot for me.

2 comments:

Nat said...

I've probably seen the list before over on tvtome, but its good to see the list again (is it the same or a different one?)

Quite a few less memorable episodes on the list though, but some good ones. I'm struggling to remember Bring On The Night, but probably because I'm not there in re-watching it yet. The rest are good episodes though; 3 premieres there as well!!

shawnlunn2002 said...

You have, it was on TV Tome but it's just expanded, explaining why I liked the episodes in question.

I read that comic spoiler and the words: Cop Out spring to mind. Really hope it's not true. And they should knock off the standalones.