Monday, January 31, 2011

Doctor Who - NTA Sketch

Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Richard Senior

Dermot O’Leary: “I’ve missed the National Television Awards. I’m an idiot.”
The Doctor: “Can I help?”

Can you go back to last Wednesday and stop Waterloo Road from scooping best drama because that would be a tonic and a bit? Um, bitterness aside, this proved to be one sketch too many.

Maybe it’s because most of the TV personalities who contributed to it are ones that annoy me or maybe it’s because I don’t ever want to think of Amanda Holden being Prime Minister or Becky MacDonald being the Doctor’s future wife. Either way, this three and a half minute sketch struck a bum note.

Dermot O’Leary – nice bloke but sort of bland and not really all that great an NTA host. Similarly wasn’t that great in this either, I’m afraid. As for Matt Smith, I was kind of embarrassed for him with this one. Even if this had been a Children In Need sketch, it still wouldn’t have worked so well.

On the plus side, it doesn’t last that long, still is nowhere near as bad as Dimensions In Time and we did get to see a new outfit for the 11th Doctor but aside from that, it just didn’t gel all that much.

- There were mentions of canaries in mine shafts before Dermot had to meet Bruce Forsyth.
- Is it wise to have a top rated BBC show slag off the BBC itself?
- Dermot O’Leary, okay he did look nice in that tuxedo but I still didn’t find him that great an NTA host.
- Shame about Matt Smith losing out to David Jason but at least he had worthy competition in one of his categories.

A bit overblown but I think some people will have enjoyed this one more than me. I expect a better sketch/missing scene for Children In Need or Comic Relief this year though.

Rating: 5 out of 10.

No comments: