Monday, January 10, 2011

Torchwod - The New World Becomes Miracle Day

As of tomorrow, Series 4 of Torchwood begins filming and contrary to previous reports, the header is now Miracle Day instead of The New World. Not really keen on the title but here's a general synopsis nonetheless ....

One day, nobody dies. All across the world, nobody dies. And then the next day, and the next, and the next, people keep aging -- they get hurt and sick -- but they never die. The result: a population boom, overnight. With all the extra people, resources are finite. It’s said that in four months’ time, the human race will cease to be viable. But this can’t be a natural event – someone’s got to be behind it. It’s a race against time as C.I.A. agent Rex Matheson investigates a global conspiracy. The answers lie within an old, secret British institute. As Rex keeps asking “What is Torchwood?", he’s drawn into a world of adventure, and a threat to change what it means to be human, forever.

Nobody being able to die? That's a TV trope that's been done to death (pun so definitely intended) but if RTD can manage to not kill off any other major characters I love (Rhys better make it out of this season alive) and there's some humour along the way, this could be a very enthralling series. I loved Children Of Earth but it was so bleak that I really don't want another misery fest throughout Miracle Day. Also some other bits - Gwen/Rhys's baby is called Anwen, Esther's surname is now Drummond, Oswald's surname is Danes, Vera's life becomes entangled with Rex, a lot of the action through the 10 episodes takes place in the US, Shanghai and Cardiff (filming in Wales is due later) and at some point, Jack has a tryst with a bartender. Thoughts anyone?

2 comments:

Damaduende said...

Ok, I will say it. I miss Ianto. Still. There, I said it, its in the open now.
Having said that, I don´t trust RTD as far as I can throw him - and he´s a big guy, so that´s a not a lot - so Ill take whatever he say with a grain of salt.
I don´t like the new name either, but the premise sounds neat - baring in mind the fact that, as you say, it´s been done a couple of thousands times before.
Bill Pullman looks old in that pic, doesn´t he? Oh well, at least I like him.
And I ll cross my fingers for Rhys too, cause if he dies that´s it, Im done with RTD. He would have kill the TW I loved dead.

shawnlunn2002 said...

I get where you're coming from with the Ianto situation but let's see how is plays out first.

Yeah, Bill does look old in that picture but his character sounds the most interesting of the bunch as well.

Rhys to live, Rhys to live, Rhys to live. I don't want Rhys to die.