Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Honourable Mentions Part 1

And here's the first of two Honourable Mentions list for some of my favourite TV characters. In order of show, alphabetically of course ...

Nora Montgomery (Lily Rabe) - American Horror Story


This show might not be teeming with sympathetic characters but apart from Moira, Nora is one of them that came pretty close to it. I might not have liked what her and husband were doing to make extra money but I did feel for her losing her child and she was one of the nicer ghosts on the show. Plus I'm pleased the show has secured the wonderful Lily Rabe for the second season, even if she'll be playing a different character.

Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall) - Dexter


I could've kicked myself for not including Dexter in my 40 rundown, which is partly why I'm doing an Honourable Mentions list. How I love this complicated serial killer so much. Michael C. Hall certainly knows how to make Dexter both menacing and sympathetic in equal measure that you almost hope he would never get caught. Then the end of Season 6 happened.

Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry) - Friends


Friends has always been a strange show for me because while I always/mostly watched it, I was never actually addicted to it. It was fun and had a great series finale but I never was that obsessed with it compared to a lot of shows. In terms of characters, I did find Chandler to be the most consistently amusing of the bunch so he makes the list here.

Callie Torres (Sara Ramirez) - Grey's Anatomy


Yeah, the usual 'I have a love/hate dynamic with this show' spiel from me but the one consistency is that I love Callie and I've loved her evolution throughout the last few seasons. Plus her relationship with Arizona is wonderful to watch. Definitely one thing that Shonda Rimes has nailed perfectly with this show.

Ian Gallagher (Gerard Kearns) - Shameless


I'll admit it - with the exception of Frank and Monica, there isn't a Gallagher I dislike but Ian was wonderful for the seven series he was on the show. A wonderfully written, consistently interesting character not overdefined by his sexuality but neither was his sexuality underplayed either. We need more gay characters like Ian on UK telly right now.

Part 2 of the Honourable Lists will be up on Friday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I effing LOVE Lily Rabe. Her performance in AHS was spellbinding but sadly overlooked in favour of two teenage dorks like Evan Peters and Vera Wang's sister.

shawnlunn2002 said...

Me too, great actress. I can't wait to see who she gets to play in the second season.