Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Review of Dexter's 7x11: ""Do You See What I See?"


Written by Manny Coto And Wendy West
Directed by John Dahl

Hannah (to Dexter): “You should have killed me.”

No, Hannah, he really shouldn’t have. Besides, we already did the whole girlfriend killing plot at the end of Season 2 with Lila and she was far more deserving of it than you were. I have to admit, while I expected that Dexter and Hannah wouldn’t get a happy ever after, I’m also a little disappointed about it too.

Personally, I don’t believe that Hannah actually did poison Deb. Not because I don’t want to believe but because, I do actually think she loves Dexter enough that she wouldn’t risk trying to kill someone close to him and also because if she had tried to kill Deb, it would’ve actually worked like it had done with her other victims.

I did consider entertaining the possibility that Deb poisoned herself in a bid to drive a wedge between Hannah and Dexter but even then, I wouldn’t be so sure. And I’m also taking into consideration that Deb made no bones about telling Hannah that she’d do anything to protect Dexter from her but at the same time, even I’m not so sure she’d go this far in order to do it.

That to me then leaves Arlene as the only other person to do it. The woman suffered abuse at the hands of the counsellor Hannah poisoned, showed a pretty unwavering loyalty towards Hannah and Deb did threaten to take her kids away from her. To me, that means Arlene must be the one who poisoned Deb but hopefully the finale will answer that question pretty sharpish though.

It’s a shame that Dexter and Hannah’s relationship had to end because while the arguments of it’s authenticity have been widely debatable, it was actually engaging to watch and I did sort of like the idea of them making future Christmas plans together.

I did however like that Dexter gave Hannah the benefit of the doubt and at least confronted her on the matter before getting her arrested. He easily could’ve taken Deb’s word for it and finished what he attempted to do at Santa’s Grotto all those weeks ago as well. Unfortunately for Hannah, things really didn’t pan out for her this week.

Of course, while Hannah might be destined for prison, Dexter surely won’t be far behind her as well. Maria certainly upped the craftiness this week by trying to use Estrada in order to prove Dexter’s guilt and it very nearly worked for her as well. It was incredibly stupid for Dexter to try and kill Estrada, especially after he’d been informed that Maria was investigating him as well.

I’m going to assume with the finale though that Dexter will get caught for something. Maria’s determination to clear Doakes name is completely justified and morally, Dexter really doesn’t have a leg to stand on either. I’m still not really sure about Tom’s stance in the whole thing though. He might have helped Maria with her investigating but he certainly took more pleasure in making sure she lived up to their agreement more than proving Dexter’s guilt.

I almost get the impression that Tom does know Dexter is the Bay Harbour Butcher and actually has no issue with people who’ve slipped the system actually get killed by Dexter. Then again, I could be wrong and maybe his relationship with the Morgans is clouding his judgement. Either way, it’s clear that Dexter is going to be caught and Deb more than likely will be too as a result.

Also in “Do You See What I See?”

I liked the Six Feet Under like sequence with an older version of Dexter, Hannah and Harrison. Maybe had things been different, it really could’ve been a reality for all three of them.

Dexter: “I’ve never thought about the future, about growing old. Maybe because the future’s never been kind to people like me or their loved ones, but suddenly the future seems very possible.”

I’m trying to remember but is this the first Christmas episode we’ve had on the show? I also got the symbolism of Christmas marking the beginning and end of Dexter and Hannah’s relationship.

Hannah (to Dexter, re Estrada): “Look at it this way. Maybe it’s the universe giving you a Christmas present.”

Masuka: “Man, the Christmas spirit around here sucks big reindeer dicks.”

Quinn’s boring subplot got concluded with Nadia skipping Miami for Vegas and leaving him a note. I don’t want to rude, but what is the point of Quinn on this show nowadays?

Tom (to Maria): “I’m too afraid to leave you alone. You might decide I’m the Bay Harbour Butcher and haul me in.”

Tom: “Maria, it’s over. The fat lady isn’t singing, her song is done. She’s getting dry humped in her dressing room.”

Angel definitely confirmed that he was retiring in this episode and it seems that he’s managed to turn Jamie into a vegetarian as well.

Hannah: “Can we work out our issues?”
Deb: “I think we can. It’s because I love Dexter that I’m willing to do whatever it takes to protect him from you.”

Hannah: “Do you love me?”
Dexter: “Yes.”
Hannah: “I don’t know if I believe you.”

Chronology: It’s Christmas time. Hannah managed to get arrested on Christmas morning as well.

“Do You See What I See?” won’t be the most festive thing you’ll watch this month but it’s definitely a delightful episode that has managed to set up what looks like a truly brilliant finale. It’s a shame we’ve lost Hannah but it seems like Dexter will need more than a miracle this Christmas to get out of the trouble he’s about to be in.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments: