Friday, March 29, 2013

Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream


I had every intention of watching this documentary on former Destiny's Child singer, Beyonce Knowles but I was surprised that BBC1 were airing it last night and managed to catch it purely by accident and after viewing Gogglebox. Maybe I missed it but did the BBC even promote it, aside the numerous tweets they made during the programme airing? I don't think I saw a single advert for this at all and they aired it at 10.30pm as well.

Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream was pretty much one of those intimate portrayals that most pop singers/global superstars occasionally do in a bid to show the real them to their audience. Sometimes they can come across as horribly narcissistic or sickly sweet and while there were only tiny moments in this 90 minute special that you could accuse of being either of the above, I have to admit, I found this extremely enjoyable.

Okay, I'll admit that I do like Miss Knowles but from an unbiased point of view, I found this to be a rather fascinating piece as we saw the usual intimate moments with the singer and her entourage/family, rehearsals and performances at various concerts and award ceremonies but some of the more raw moments such as Beyonce herself talking about a previous miscarriage, her reactions to becoming a mother as well as an insight into her work ethic and upbringing were pretty effecting to watch.

She might not be the person you'd think would be the subject of a HBO documentary but if I didn't have a respect for the Diva who Runs The World with a Halo  while being Crazy In Love (okay, terrible puns stop here), I certainly did after this documentary. A wonderful 90 minutes.

Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream is available on BBC iPlayer.

No comments: