Wednesday, November 05, 2014

My Review of Revenge's 4x06: "Damage"


Written by Christopher Fife And Sallie Patrick
Directed by John Terlesky

David (to Nolan): “She died without knowing you betrayed her. That you betrayed me and for that, I will never forgive you.”

I really wanted to like this episode. There were some moments I genuinely enjoyed and then there was the live television interview from hell and that was one of two moments that I truly hated. David humiliating Nolan on live television believing he stole from Amanda and later punching Nolan. Both moments annoyed me more than they should’ve done.

I can understand why David might think that Nolan might have betrayed Amanda but the fact that he was so unwilling to listen to Nolan’s side and humiliated him so publicly actually made me hate the character with an intense passion. Then again, this whole David storyline has been a bad idea from the start.

We’re six episodes into this season and it feels as directionless as ever. David being brought back to life has done more to hinder and undo everything that has gone on before than help it. I’m not even sure if Emily actually revealing herself to be Amanda and David believing it will actually help this show.

Also seeing David being continuously manipulated by Victoria as well has certainly gotten exhausting to watch, even if this episode did show moments where Victoria’s concern for David’s well being was genuine. However, that’s not enough to make me care and I’m really struggling with this season as a whole. I hate to say but ABC really might have to put this show out of it’s misery and end it this season.

Of course there were some good moments in the episode, surprisingly enough stemming from Charlotte. She managed to bump off a would be kidnapper in one of the show’s least extravagant fight scenes and even seemed receptive when Emily finally gave her the very harsh dose of reality that Charlotte’s been needing for some time.

I liked that both Daniel and Victoria were supportive of Charlotte going to rehab and the idea of a Charlotte free zone for a few episodes really won’ hurt the show at this rate. I also liked that Charlotte called Victoria out on her psychotic need to hurt Emily, though it’s unlikely Victoria won’t give up on that one.

As for the Louise plot, I’m still not really sure what the point of it is really but she did have some interesting scenes with Daniel, Victoria and Margaux in this episode and just maybe I was a little harsh on her last week. Her plot is no different to Tyler’s on a cosmetic level but I’ll happily take her lunacy over anything involving Ben and Jack’s cop shenanigans though.

Also in “Damage”

Nice recreation/expansion of a certain David/Amanda flashback that’s been prominent with the show since the opening episode.

Victoria (re Louise): “That girl is mentally imbalanced.”
Daniel: “So she’s a friend of yours.”

Emily managed to figure with a basic look that David staged the whole kidnapped/tortured thing. Strange how trained professionals such as the FBI were then easily fooled.

Louise: “You were like a mother to me.”
Victoria: “We were roommates for a day.”

Emily: “I’ve never killed anyone, Charlotte. I know you hate me for the things I’ve done but I’ve never done that.”

I’m surprised that Charlotte actually did believe Emily murdered Aiden. I also like that she knows Victoria did and told Daniel who Emily really is.

Nolan (to Victoria): “Oh, I just love live TV. You never know what’s gonna happen.”

Victoria (to David): “No matter what happens, I will always be on your side.”

Standout music: “For You” by Angus And Julia Stone.

Nolan (to Emily): “Your lies finally caught up to me.”

Chronology: From where “Repercussions” more or less left off.

“Damage” is kind of what this show feels like at the moment. This episode was utterly frustrating in parts, boring in others. I’m trying to enjoy this season but I am really struggling with at the moment.

Rating: 6 out of 10

No comments: