Tuesday, November 03, 2015

My Review of Gotham's 2x07: "Mommy Little Monster"


Written by Robert Hull
Directed by Kenneth Fink

Theo: "Any last words?"
Oswald: "I'm gonna kill you."

And you know, I think Oswald just might because the way things went down in this episode, I really cannot see how the writers can mine anything else out of the Galavans for another fifteen episodes. Perhaps Gotham is going to go down the Once Upon A Time route with a main antagonist every half season.

This week not only did Theo incur Oswald's wrath by having Tabitha callously kill his mother but even Gordon found himself seeing through Theo's bullshit and by the end of the episode, he was openly declaring war on Theo. Does Gordon ever learn? Either way, Theo might want to get a move on with his big scheme against Bruce because while Oswald's attempt failed this week, you just know he's going to succeed fairly soon though.

I did like the audacious way in which Oswald chose to strike at Theo though. It almost worked and having an army of Penguins to partially throw Gordon and Tabitha off was actually a little inspired. Unfortunately Bullock ended up being the one to get Oswald's way but with Gordon also on the warpath, at least we know that Theo's days could be numbered a little sooner than expected.

Personally I'm fine with that. I like him enough as a villain but both Tabitha and Silver are just annoying - the former still not developed beyond sadistic henchwoman and the latter who managed to piss off Selina and alienate Bruce from Selina though. Also considering that we know of other future developments on the horizon, maybe the writers are being smart if they conclude this arc sooner than later.

Keeping with developments - Butch is back to his old self and needless to say, he's pissed at Oswald and also desperate to set up his own gang. I like Butch, I really do but he isn't a crime boss and never will be. Victor only had to threaten to kill his men to show how weak Butch is in any role that extends his usual one. I think like a few other characters, there's a very high possibility that Butch won't make it out of this season alive either.

Sticking with the dead - the psychological torture that Nygma put himself through when it came to hiding Kringle's body was interesting enough. I still think this split personality thing is a story for Two Face and I don't like the idea of the future Riddler just killing people all the time (it's not his character) but props to Cory Michael Smith who was just as great in this episode as Robin Lord Taylor was playing a heartbroken and vengeful Penguin. I just wish though the writers were being a bit more creative with Nygma's descent into darkness.

Also in "Mommy's Little Monster"

I liked that Selina made Alfred squirm over hitting her a few weeks ago. Alfred more than deserved that one.

Theo (to Oswald): "And I thought you understood the meaning of consequences."

Nicholas D'Agosto returned as Harvey Dent but mainly he was there to be Theo's supporter. I hope they know what to do with Dent this season.

Gertrud (to Oswald): "You were always such a good boy."

Nygma: "You went to my work last night?"
Nygma: "Technically you did. I was just in the driver's seat."

Martinez was killed by Tabitha this week. This has to be the worst strike force going.

Silver: "You come around here again, that would be bad for you."
Selina: "Who the hell are you?"
Silver: "I'm Bruce's friend. His only friend."

Oswald (re Theo): "He dies tonight."

Victor is now giving people a minute to do one before he goes all gun happy on anyone remaining there. I guess that's reasonable for someone like him.

Nygma: "Why are you doing this?"
Nygma: "Because it's fun and it's good for you."

No Barbara in this episode but going by the trailer for next week, it looks like we're going to get a lot of her next week.

Oswald: "One of us is going to die tonight. I've made my peace with that. I suggest the next Mayor does the same as well."

Chronology: Not long from where By Fire left off.

A solid episode. Mommy's Little Monster sadly bumped off Gertrud and continued with a slightly annoying trend of taking out too many female characters for my liking as well. I'm still iffy on the way Nygma's storyline is going and the Galavan storyline does seem like it's on the way of heading towards it's natural conclusion as well.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments: